Monday, November 12, 2018

Brain Injury Study

  During my 13-year career as a Marine Corps infantryman, my primary weapons system was the MK-153 Shoulder-Launched Multipurpose Assault Weapon, commonly known as the SMAW. This weapon is basically a hand-held rocket launcher that produces a booming, violent report when fired, as its name indicates, from the shoulder. A recent study by the Center for a New American Security found that, “these bazooka-like weapons pose a hazard because they are powered by an explosion just inches from the operator's head”. The blast overpressure generated by this type of rocket launch is substantial and has, according to this study, been associated with short term cognitive deficits. This means that the dizziness and nausea I felt after a day of sustained firing was most likely attributable to the huge explosions going off right next to my right ear. This indicates that I probably sustained multiple concussions during my time as a SMAW gunner. This implies that I, most likely, am presently dealing with the repercussions of some form of traumatic brain injury (TBI). What does this suggest about my future? 
       I am not looking for sympathy here. I made the conscious decision to enlist in the Marines and would do it again without blinking an eye. I would not be the man I am today if I never took that short, fun trip to Parris Island in 1996. My service informs my existence. I would never trade it...not for anything, not for any reason. However, these days I notice that I pause in conversation to search for words that I used to be able to effortlessly snatch out of thin air. I sometimes need to critically think through tasks that were once child’s play. I was a voracious reader as a younger man; now, I find that my attention wanders if I try to chop through a good book in one sitting. These things may just be the vagaries of my advanced age of 46. They may have nothing to do with “the cumulative effects on the brain of repeat heavy weapons firing”. But, what if they do? Where does that leave me? 
       It leaves me to wonder if some of the idiosyncrasies I’ve picked up over the years are attributable to a little touch of TBI. I was always irritable...ask anyone...but, nowadays it tends to grow to outsized proportions. And it lingers. Too much bright light for too long makes my head hurt. I applied for a position with the state some years ago and was not hired because I failed the hearing test. Repeatedly. It is presently 3:23 am. I have not been to sleep tonight and probably will not go. Again, I ask for no sympathy, only understanding. If I am a step slow or a fraction off or drop a comma in the next paragraph, please do not judge me poorly. I think I may have hurt my head. 
       The findings in the Protecting Warfighters from Blast Injury study are fascinating and the suggestions made to mitigate some of the damage seem reasonable. The science behind this research is constantly evolving and may lead to any number of future outcomes. I hold out the sincere hope that the SMAW gunners of today and tomorrow are positively affected by the changes that are sure to come to equipment, weaponry and tactics moving forward. I am perfectly willing to be a part of that positive change; I plan to donate my brain to science when my time here is done so that it can be studied as well. I can only hope that my fellow service members are not living with ailments that they cannot understand and are not able to shake. Call me if you are...I might have some experience with what you are going through.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this and do what is necessary to stay on top of it PRIOR to donating your brain. You have lots of support out here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also am a hard charging 0351. 93-97. After firing; definitely closed head injuries. On deployment. I was "Sea Sick" after a couple of missions for 5-7 day's. Dizzy, vomitting, head pressure and extreme ringing in ears. NOW 45. Rt lower molars have ALL been removed for vertical and root fractures. NOT covered by V.A. I live with Severe Depressive Disorder-PTSD; Hearing aids & Lower Dentures. I also Volunteered! Excelled to the top...and I'm thankful but concerned at 45yrs. Still Fighting! SEMPER Fi! E-4 Ripley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Irrespective of receiving daily oral or future injectable depot therapies, these require health care visits for medication and monitoring of safety and response. If patients are treated early enough, before a lot of immune system damage has occurred, life expectancy is close to normal, as long as they remain on successful treatment. However, when patients stop therapy, virus rebounds to high levels in most patients, sometimes associated with severe illness because i have gone through this and even an increased risk of death. The aim of “cure”is ongoing but i still do believe my government made millions of ARV drugs instead of finding a cure. for ongoing therapy and monitoring. ARV alone cannot cure HIV as among the cells that are infected are very long-living CD4 memory cells and possibly other cells that act as long-term reservoirs. HIV can hide in these cells without being detected by the body’s immune system. Therefore even when ART completely blocks subsequent rounds of infection of cells, reservoirs that have been infected before therapy initiation persist and from these reservoirs HIV rebounds if therapy is stopped. “Cure” could either mean an eradication cure, which means to completely rid the body of reservoir virus or a functional HIV cure, where HIV may remain in reservoir cells but rebound to high levels is prevented after therapy interruption.Dr Itua Herbal Medicine makes me believes there is a hope for people suffering from,Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,psoriasis,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,siva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma Infectious mononucleosis. .Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpe ,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia.(measles, tetanus, whooping cough, tuberculosis, polio and diphtheria),Chronic Diarrhea,
    Hpv,All Cancer Types,Diabetes,Hepatitis,I read about him online how he cure Tasha and Tara so i contacted him on drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com / . even talked on whatsapps +2348149277967 believe me it was easy i drank his herbal medicine for two weeks and i was cured just like that isn't Dr Itua a wonder man? Yes he is! I thank him so much so i will advise if you are suffering from one of those diseases Pls do contact him he's a nice man.

    ReplyDelete